Wednesday, December 2, 2009

More about my Advenures of Life

I guess the biggest adventure I am about to embark on-other than a trip to Mexico- is the one that I am pursuing to become a CPM..... or in other words a certified Midwife. Only the education part will take me 4 years to complete or however long it will take me. It is a study at home program but I have to travel to Texas more than enough times to take a lot of tests and attend workshops. One of the things I really would like to do is find other studying students for this midwifery course in all the surrounding states and somehow get with them for study groups, travel to Texas in a caravan together etc. All of the other ladies that I know who have taken this course either had someone also studying or else had someone with them. At this moment there really isn't anyone fully dedicated to do the whole course that I know of. I am also looking into apprenticing to other midwives everywhere to further my experience and knowledge. Here in Rose Creek Village we have a birthing business (for lack of a better term) where we give birth at home to people in nearby towns who are wanting a natural birth. We have 2 certified Midwives, but technically 3. And a good amount of assistants and doulas. My friend Aubrey at the moment is studying to become a doula. Her heart is to reach out and help teenage mothers. I guess we are the next generation of Midwives/doulas/assistants. She started her course last year which she will finish when she is 18, while I have to wait until I am 18 and graduated. I am planning on starting my 4 year course in June of 2010.
My first experience and real impact on my decision of becoming a midwife was Kaiden Emmanuel Sanders birth March 2006. I've been to more births since then and even though I was either there to assist the assistant, watch children, or even to clean up and put away equipment every moment has been an amazing experience. And since then it has seemed like God has only breathed on it more and more. Everyone supports my decision and things are just falling into place that make the path to becoming a midwife more and more exciting for me. I've always wanted to do something with children and somehow being an impact in their first moments of life is definitely a good option. I can make an impression on them through memories passed through the parents that can influence them to either make a choice to have a home birth for their own children or at the hospital. And as in the past history of Rose Creek Village it can be used as a ministry. It is definitely a long and hard road but I am ready for it. Because the final goal is entirely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment